Frequently Asked Questions
You may need planning if the court:
- is within an area of land around a listed building
- is closer to the highway than the original house
- is to be located on designated land including areas of outstanding beauty, world heritage sites or conservation areas
- will take up more than 50% of land around the house
See more information at www.planningportal.com
If you want to play other sports, a Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) is recommended so you can play netball, football and basketball as well as tennis.
Generally a north-south orientation is best to avoid shadows caused by the sun so that long play can be achieved. Position the court away from overhanging trees and bushes that may cause damage to the surface.
Surface options depend on affordability, the game you want to play, durability and court life and maintenance.
Asphalt (porous macadam)
- Most popular court surface material.
- If play is directly on the asphalt, the pace is typically medium-slow (ITF classified court pace rating medium 3).
- Asphalt courts are often covered with another surface, which will dictate the playing characteristics of the court.
- Durable surface which can be used year-round (weather permitting).
- Less maintenance required.
- Can be played on quite soon following rain.
- Resilient and weather-resistant playing area.
- Usually laid on an asphalt or concrete base.
- Provides a realistic, natural game reproducing the feel and play of grass.
- Lower impact on joints.
- Easy to maintain.
- Maintenance plan recommended to ensure quality of play.
- Suitable for padel - one of the world’s fastest-growing sports.
- Needlepunch surface
- Sand dressed
- Tufted fibrillated
- Sand dressed
- Tufted monofilament
- ITF pace rating medium 3
- ITF pace rating fast 5
- ITF pace rating medium/ fast 4
Poraflex high performance porous cushioned acrylic
- High-performance water permeable cushioned acrylic surface
- Remains consistent during weather/ temperature changes.
- Porous for extended wet play - 4 layers laid on top of porous macadam (Adhesive- Shockpad, Spray wear layer, Topcoat).
- Durable and resistant to wear.
- Various thicknesses and colours available
- Flexible to meet slip resistant requirements for other sports (netball, football or basketball).
- ITF pace classification 3 (medium).
Yes, property experts believe that the benefits to the value of your home will exceed the cost of court construction.